Monday, December 13, 2010

andrew's 3rd birthday




Friday was Andrew's 3rd birthday!
I cannot believe how big my little guy is getting - he's growing up so fast!

He amazes me with his curiosity, understanding and his memory! 
He's very bright and it's so fun to watch him want to learn and understand.
He gets that trait from his dad.  The other not-so-amiable traits, like stubbornness, he gets from me. 



Figuring out the magnetic trucks from Grandma Judy with Daddy!  He is VERY excited about these and they're perfect for his little inquisitive mind.

They make them so difficult to steal from the stores that you can hardly open it when you get the honest way!

I was VERY excited to get a Buzz Lightyear for Andrew for his birthday.  We just watched Toy Story 3 and we all loved it!  Andrew wasn't quite as excited about Buzz as I thought he would be (so disappointing!) so I asked him about it.

I found out that he was excited about Buzz but he wasn't sure about playing with him for two reasons:
#1 - Buzz was ANDY'S toy.  I tried to explain that this Buzz was his but ...
#2- This Buzz is just a pretend Buzz so he can't fly and stuff.  (Like what Mommy and Daddy were trying to get him to do with it).

Did I mention that Andrew is also very literal?!

Playing with his new Play-Doh set with Grandpa.
We call Andrew "Captain Chaos".  Appropriately nicknamed because he is SO BUSY!  He's into everything, all the time.  He does one thing for a minute then quickly moves on to the next and the next, leaving a trail behind him.

Part of that is because of his curiosity and desire to learn but the other part is just that he's a little boy.  It makes life interesting at times but it's fun too (mostly).  I know he's learning a lot because he's always got to be in the middle of everything!

This Play-Doh set was more a present for me, actually, because Andrew sat at the table playing with it for hours.  That has never happened before in his lifetime.  I can't get him to do anything for hours!

Getting ready to blow out the candles...

His cupcakes were so disappointing!!  I had this super cute idea in my head but of course I waited until the last possible moment to frost them and then realized that I hardly had any powdered sugar at all for the frosting!  Since I don't eat much sugar, I don't do much baking these days at all so I didn't even realize that I was so low.  
 
So I improvised... with brownie mix from 2006 that we still had around.  It thickened up the frosting somewhat, giving it a realistic cookie's and cream ice cream look, but it wasn't at all the look I was going for.  
So when Andrew sees these pics later in life and wants to know what the brown blobs are, I'll tell him that was "The Year We Ran Out of Powdered Sugar."
 



Right now at least he doesn't seem to mind the brown blobs... sugar is sugar to a three year old!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing the birthday photos - they're very special!