Saturday, November 6, 2010

Roadtrip with my kiddos... Am I nuts?!

The last two days I've really been wondering...  Taking a hungry, grumpy eight month old and a rambunctious almost-three-year-old on a 15 hour road trip.  What was I thinking?!  Thankfully my mom agreed to come along too.


Our road trip has been eventful - but thankfully not too eventful - and we finally got to Phoenix the day before yesterday.  And I mean finally... I thought we were never going to make it.


The last few hours were the worst.  Connor is so hungry all the time that we give him a lot of water and watered down bottles.  So we have a lot of wet (and dirty) diapers to change.  And Andrew, bless his heart, he's really done well considering the circumstances but he gave up about 2 hours away from our destination.  Which was about the same time my tailbone also gave up.  We all have bad colds and we're sleep deprived, but we're together and in one piece so I'm trying not to complain [too much].

At one point, I joked with my mom that this was the last trip she was going to take with us because we were having so much "fun."  She joked back that she'd already decided that.  I knew she was kidding but with the stress of everything and having so little sleep, I just burst into tears driving down the highway. [Sigh....] 

It's not been all bad though... Connor's EEG in Salt Lake went well... I got a message from his doctor saying that there was "tons of improvement" in his EEG on Wednesday compared to his EEG two weeks ago.  That was good news to hear.  As difficult of a time as we're having on the medications, at least it's doing something.  We just need to figure out if it's enough.


And his appointment yesterday went really well.  He's getting wonderful care in Salt Lake but the neurologists there are more generalized - over a lot of neurological diseases and disorders - but the docs here are specifically for TSC and I feel that's a big blessing.  The Barrow Neurological Center, which the TSC Clinic is a part of, is number one in the nation for neurological research so I think we're in good hands.

I think it was good that we came down here - we'll be back in 3 - 4 months for follow-up, etc. - but as my mom would say, please pray us home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update - it sounds like things are getting better for Connor. I continue to send my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. Love, J